Monday 5 August 2013

Queen Anne Vintage Bedside Tables Painted White White White!

Sometimes someone's trash really is another person's treasure. Like these. The story of these beautiful tables begins at Dumpling King and a conversation about cleaning out my friends' Grandparents' house, ready for sale. 'You should see how much we've thrown out, we've already filled a skip bin  the size of our driveway' my friends (sisters) told me. It turned out that these were in the skip bin, along with another secret treasure, which I will blog about next.

So they were saved. Here is the before picture.

The gorgeous little tables before
I think you can see that they weren't in perfect condition. One handle was missing (sadly I couldn't get a matching one so they all had to be replaced), there were some pretty bad stains on the tables, some stickers and chips. The chips I quite like, they add to the shabby chic feel. I could have filled them with some wood putty, as I usually do with chips but these ones I kept. I like the history of them. I did, however, fill the holes where the old handles were, then sanded the tops completely (where the marks and stickers were).

I didn't sand back the legs as I am using a new product called Zinsser Smart Primer. I'm told that if you use this primer you do not need to sand (it claims to stick to anything) and you only need one coat for stain blocking. We've been using it around our house as we are in the process of painting all of our wooden skirting boards. On the first section we painted around the house I did only use one coat of the primer. I should have stuck to what I normally do and painted two coats, as even with three top coats of white paint, you can still see the wood grain. But I digress. 
My advice? Always put two coats of primer on. Here is a quick pic I took of the tables to show the difference between one coat of primer and two.

Two coats of primer on the left, one coat on the right. Massive difference.
Painting furniture white is actually more tricky than painting it a colour because you really need more coats of paint. These guys got three coats of white enamel paint and in some parts where I wanted to touch up, four. But I think they look great!

After!




Want them? They're up for grabs for as long as you can see them on my 'Furniture for Sale' page.

Detail of the leg. These are really beautifully made.
 What other colours would you love to see these in?
 *Hint* I'm already planning my next project!
Can you tell that these are little crystal knobs? Cute.











                 

Detail of the top of the tables.


Do you enjoy reading about furniture makeovers (or dream of doing some yourself?) Click on the BlogLovin' link on the left of my page to follow this and many other great blogs like my favourite, Design Sponge.
Don't forget to like my Facebook page- search for Retro Vintage Love and share it with your friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment